I love Twilight…sue me. I just saw Breaking Dawn, and I definitely cried. It was great. But there is so much hatred toward the series. The other day, I was in class, and we spent at least 20 minutes trash-talking the movies. Do you even know how much money I spent on those 20 minutes? I am paying to learn about Classical Political Thought, not about vampire-hate. Let’s talk about Plato, okay?
A lot of people make fun of me for liking it. I was *trying* to explain the plot to my roommate, and she was incredulous. Vampires? Werewolves? Creepy babies? Honeymooning on a private island? Cuh-ray-zee.
But I love it. Here is why:
- It completely sucks you in. While I am watching a Twilight movie, I am not thinking about how bad the acting is, how pasty the makeup is, or how ridiculous the plot-line is. I am thinking about love conquering all, about good vs. evil, about Taylor Lautner’s abs. Oh wait, that’s another bullet point. But my point is, none of that matters when you’re watching the movies.
- It makes teenagers read actual books. You know how marijuana is considered a gateway drug? It leads its users into doing harder drugs. And the Twilight movies make the people watching want to read the books. And once they read the books, they want to read more books…”harder” books. [Is it bad to compare Twilight to marijuana?]
- Twilight has a fast-moving plot. I can’t sit still when I’m bored, and you are not bored when you are watching Twilight. There’s always some huge battle brewing, or some dark and dangerous enemy building a vampire army.
- Okay, let’s talk about the wolf pack. Bow-chicka-wow-wow. Check out the abs on THOSE guys. I have nothing against admiring God’s creation, and there is a TON of admiring to do during New Moon.
- I think the wolf pack deserves another bullet point. Let’s admire.
- It shows how messy love can be. He loves her, she loves him, somebody else loves her. It’s a bad situation, for everyone. Granted, there will be a happy[ish] ending, but it doesn’t work out the way that they all wanted.
- Breaking Dawn has a surprisingly pro-life and pro-marriage message. I like that a lot. Movies, especially these movies, speak to our culture. And Breaking Dawn has some good things to say. [Of course, it also has some horrendous things to say–let’s ignore that for now]
- The soundtracks are generally pretty good.
So, all of you Twilight haters, what do you say to THAT?
I have plenty to say. Be sure to read my next post, ‘Why I Hate Twilight’.